What is an Electric Scooter?
Electric scooters can be split up into two key types – first is essentially a moped powered by an electric motor and are often allowed on the road. The second type is a stand on scooter that you can push or kick for propulsion, with the assistance of an electric motor. Both types can be charged and can scoot you around from about 10 -30 mph for an hour on a full charge.
The popularity for electric scooters for adults and teens has been increasing because of both their practical function as well as their fun factor! Many push style scooters are very light and easy to transport and are foldable, making them a convenient mode of transport to and from work or school in the middle of a busy town.
Some models have off-road tires and suspension that make short work of dirt roads and jumps, while others are equipped with lights and mirrors and can be made road legal.
Apart from all of the heads turning to check out how awesome you look there are many other reasons you may consider buying an electric scooter:
Adrenaline – Many of these models are also suitable for teens who are upgrading from smaller scooters. (Shooting around the streets or fields is something that you never grow out of!)
Environmentally Friendly – Rather than jumping in your car for a 5-10 minute trip why not hop on your scooter and get there in half the time, weaving around traffic and people, and saving the planet at the same time?
Electric scooters only use the electricity to charge them and don’t cause any of the pollution (gasses and noise!) that cars do.
Effortless – maybe you want to go out and walk the dog, or keep an eye on the kids on a bike ride? Unpack the scooter and they won’t be able to keep up!
To consider when choosing your Scooter…
Speed: All electric scooters are nippy, but some are faster than others. This all depends on the size of the battery and the size
of the person. If you are buying for a teen many models will have no problem getting up to 15mph and climbing up hills. If you buying for someone over 70kg it might be worth looking at a more powerful model such as the Razor E300. If you intend to keep up with traffic you might want to consider the Evo Powerboard, with its 1000W motor can reach speeds of up to 26mph.
Battery Length: Most electric scooters’ batteries last around an hour off a full charge. Some models have the option to select an ‘economy mode’ that reduces the output of the battery at a cost to the top speed, and a guzzler mode that opens up the power at a hit to the battery life. A good way to remedy this is to pick up an extra battery, which you can pick up here.
Scooter Weight: If you plan on taking your scooter on holiday or lugging it into the car take note of how heavy it is. Most models are very lightweight, and some can be folded away for extra convenience.
Depending on your plans many models also have special features such as:
- Detachable Seat
- Road Legal
- Off Road Tires
Electric Scooters for Adults: Our Top Suggestions
- Evo 1000w Electric Scooter has 42in height, 44in length, 24in width and with 79lbs of weight.
- It has chain engine drive framework.
- The scooter is equipped with 1000 Watt Batteries, three 12V/12AH (36V framework).
- It has the top speed of 28kmh.
- Its most extreme coverage reach is 10 miles per charge which may change depending upon the weight of the driver.
- Battery can be charged whenever required. It takes around 4-8 hours to get its battery fully charged.
- Easy to install quick release seat for high level of comfort.
- Speeds up to 15mph and up to 40 minutes of continuous use on a single charge
- Super-sized deck & steel frame
- High torque, chain driven motor
- Twist-grip acceleration control and a hand operated rear brake
- Extra wide 10″ pneumatic tyres
- Maximum speed: 30km/h
- Double braking function: Regenerative brake for front wheel + Emergency brake for behind wheel (At the same time front wheel regenerative brake and rear wheel friction brake)
- Maximum Speed Limitation Option: Many countries have a legislation that imposes a speed limitation, that’s why the scooter’s speed can be set from the factory at 12km/h, 20km/h or 25km/h.
- Motor type: DC Brushless motor, 500W